Flip Mino HD vs. Insignia HD Camcorder
The Flip Mino figures to be a hot ticket item this holiday season. You can pick one up for around $200-250 depending on the store. I picked up my Flip Mino HD from www.BestBuy.com for around $230 (was backordered) as they weren't expecting to get them in until after Christmas in-store. This after an unsatisfying stint with the cheaper Insignia HD mini camcorder available exclusively at Best Buy for $99.
So what is the difference you ask? A few things.
- The Flip turns on quicker so you don't miss those "precious" moments or a goog ole hockey fight.
- The Flip's quality is WAY better! The low light function on the Flip causes very little graininess in the resulting footage, while the Insignia's video quality takes a BIG dip in a low-light setting. (I plugged the Flip up to a 57" HD TV and was very impressed with the picture quality)
- The Flip is smaller and seems sturdier for the hectic life of an active agent or your everyday Mom.
Don't take me the wrong way. The Insignia is not all bad. I liked the large swivel LCD screen that you can flip just about any direction and the picture automatically adjusts so you can film yourself. I also liked the removable lithium-ion battery and memory card slot that allows you to carry spares so you can keep on filming as long as you like.
I'll leave the decisions up to you. Here are the basic specs so you'll know what you're getting into.
Flip Mino HD
- From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
- Weighs only 3.3 ounces.
- Super-slim, super-sleek design
That fits into any pocket or purse.
- Simple user interface
Features one-touch recording and digital zoom, making HD video easier and more fun than ever.
- Holds 60 minutes of HD-quality video
On 4GB of built-in memory; no tapes or additional memory cards required.
- Convenient flip-out USB arm
Plugs directly into your computer to launch built-in FlipShare software.
- Built-in FlipShare software
Lets you save and organize your videos, edit individual clips, make custom movies, e-mail your videos, and upload them directly to YouTube, MySpace and AOL Video.
- Internal lithium-ion battery
Recharges through built-in USB arm while you're plugged into your computer.
- Produces HD 720p
(1280 x 720 resolution at 30 frames per second; 16:9 widescreen) video you'll be able to enjoy on your HDTV.
- Records high-quality MP4 files
That can be easily dragged and dropped into iTunes, iMovie and iPhoto.
- Watch videos instantly on TV
With included connector cable.
- Instant playback,
Pause, fast forward, rewind, zoom and delete functions.
Insignia 5.0MP High Definition Digital Camcorder
- 8x digital zoom
Brings you up close to distant objects and scenes.
- 3" LCD display
For ease of use and a clear view. LCD rotates up to 270° for multiple viewing angles.
- 5.0-megapixel 1/2.5" CMOS image sensor
Captures video at up to 1280 x 720 resolution and still images up to 2592 x 1944 for stunning clarity.
- Digital image stabilization system
Minimizes shake and vibration distortion to keep footage steady.
- Night mode
Helps capture video even in low light situations.
- Special effects
Include black-and-white, sepia and negative shooting for creative video capture.
- MP3 player and voice recording support
Give you creative control over the audio in your movies.
- Auto, daylight, tungsten and fluorescent white balance modes
Ensure natural-looking video and still images under a variety of lighting conditions.
- 64MB internal memory and Secure Digital/Secure Digital High Capacity memory card slot (media not included)
Provide plenty of space for your movies and photos.
- HDMI output
Lets you connect to your HDTV and view your high-definition video.
- USB 2.0 interface
For easy image transfer. A/V connection allows you to view footage on a TV.